Thursday, August 2, 2012

Two Days on Mount Rainier: A Time Lapse and Photo Essay

OK folks, I've been toiling away in my studio for the past four days editing, resizing and exporting images while my eyes tear with weariness.  My wife thinks I ran away.  My dog feels neglected.  But it is for the sake of art after all.

So, without further ado, a collection of images and a time-lapse video from my recent trip up to Tokoloo Spire on Mt Rainier.  For those who are not familiar with Tokoloo Spire (as I was not just 10 days ago) it's an incredibly unique rock formation that juts up from the south flank of Mount Rainier at about 7500 feet.  It's a bit committing to reach this outcropping, but oh so worth it.

 I started out with about 60 lbs on my back.  Those that know me know that I have ridiculously light backpacking and climbing gear.  But they just don't make (high-quality) lightweight camera gear.  Though  that is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the shot at a good photo.  Anyway, I decided it was best to hop on my cross-country bike (complete with road bike tires) for the first 4 miles of the approach along the Westside Road.  I then stashed the bike at the entrance of the Round Pass Trail. After following this to the South Puyallap Trail, I connected with the somewhat bustling Wonderland Trail.  After a few hours, I came to the the near frozen St Andrew's Lake where I traded my trekking poles for and ice ax and ascended about 1500 feet to an awe-inspiring ridge line.  From then on, I didn't see another soul for two days.

(enjoy the time lapse video):








1 comment: