Friday, September 6, 2013

The Bugaboos - Land of Cheap Thrills and Expensive Beer


Bugaboo Spire as seen from the top of McTech Arete

Well, the title of this post might be a bit of a misnomer.  After all, climbing photography is not exactly 'cheap' in any sense of the word.  If I added up the dollar amount of all the photo gear with all of the climbing and rigging gear needed to pull off a shoot in the high country, well let's just say I wouldn't have to shop at thrift stores nearly as much.  Lucky for me, you can't truly pin a dollar sign to your passions.  The pursuit of creating beautiful imagery in high places is absolutely priceless to me.  And I wouldn't trade my job for anything.  So when I had the opportunity to go on assignment in the Bugaboos for Feathered Friends,  I jumped at the chance.   

(But, I think I was spot on about the 'expensive beer' part.  $13 dollars for a six-pack of IPA?  Come on guys, really?)

Let's just get down to it, shall we?  The Bugaboos might just be the most amazing place I have ever seen...ever.  And I've been around.  Add to the fact that it is a climber's paradise, and I can safely say that I am now officially hooked on the place.  Easy glacier approaches dashed with splitter granite spires truly make this remarkable landscape something to behold.  While the weather isn't quite on par with what one may encounter in Patagonia, it is still known to get a bit gnar up in the hills.  Tread carefully and carry Gore-Tex.


Kaare Iverson reviewing beta for the next route

Kaare coils a rope on the summit of McTech Arete

Cruiser glacier approaches

Snow Patch Spire at sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment